I’d like to write a wonderfully creative post about my experience during the past two days… but instead, I’ll just get to the point.
I worked all day yesterday, but felt different, just off, not right, tons of pelvic pressure, the same feeling I experienced a month ago. (I even texted Eric yesterday afternoon that I thought baby girl wanted out soon…) It being Friday I high-tailed my ass outta work at 4pm and headed home, the only thing on my mind being to change into comfy clothing and relax in bed.
I was home by 4:30, changed, and in bed before 5. I laid on my left side thinking it was best for baby but the pressure continued to build and by 5:30 when Eric called that he was heading home from work my lower back and abdomen were in pain. I was thinking to myself, this can’t be right… who could feel this way for eleven and a half more weeks until their due date?? I tried walking around, stretching, laying in different positions, but nothing helped, just lots of pain, pressure, and tightness.
When Eric got home he called labor and delivery and spoke to the on-call doctor… She suggested we come in, just as a precaution since I’m still considered high risk due to my shortened cervix. Looking back, I really should have packed a bag!
When we arrived around 7 we were taken to a triage room in labor and delivery, I changed into a gown, a quick history was taken, and my cervix was checked. My 1.3 cm had disappeared, nothing left, and I was dilated to 2 cm. A very quick ultrasound was done to check baby’s heartbeat, which was great, amniotic fluid in tact, so good too, but still breech. I moved to a labor/delivery room at that point to be admitted. Not how I thought my Friday the 13th would turn out…
You can probably guess the next several steps.., I was hooked up to an external fetal monitor to track baby’s heart rate, and another external monitor to track contractions. An IV was started (twice, damn tiny veins) and these nifty massaging cuffs were put around my lower legs. I basically settled in to a very uncomfortable bed, tethered to several devices, for God only knows how long.
So the plan is this:
- I’ve been receiving magnesium by IV since last night when I arrived in an effort to stop my contractions. They recommend limiting this medication to only 48 hours for two reasons. One, that’s how long the steroids take to help mature baby girl’s lungs, and two, any longer than 48 hours and magnesium has adverse effects on baby, something about thinning her bones, but don’t quote me on that!
- I’ve also been receiving IV antibiotics and lots of fluids. Seems fairly standard…
- I was given the first steroid injection last night at 9pm, and the second I’ll receive tonight (Saturday) at 9pm.
- Sunday at 9pm the magnesium will be turned off and we’ll see how my body reacts. This does not excite me, as I have no faith that my body will obey. I will say that my contractions have slowed since last night, but they have certainly not stopped. Pain meds are finally working though. Thankfully 🙂
- I’ll for sure be in the hospital until Monday morning so they can see how I do off the magnesium. How my body reacts though is a complete guess at this point. There are other medications to try to stop labor, but the high risk doctor who met with us this morning doesn’t recommend them, the risks just don’t outweigh the benefits at almost 29 weeks. She did not go into those risks and I didn’t press the issue.
I guess the real vibe I’m getting is this… If my contractions stay calm and I don’t dilate further once off the magnesium, there is a chance I could go home, but most likely on bed rest. The other option is delivery of baby girl if my contractions start back up Sunday evening into Monday. They stressed that our level 4 NICU is amazing and that at 29 weeks baby girl would actually be one of the larger babies there. Not sure this is comforting, but okay… Side note with delivery, it would be a c-section unless she decides to flip in the next two days. Somehow I don’t see that happening, but okay on that note too…
Eric stayed here with me last night as he has this weekend off. Unfortunately he needs to work this week. It’s spring break though, so the surgery schedule is light, thank goodness. He ran home last night to get me a few necessities, and he just left again to let Kona out and shower. As nice as it is to have him here, I guess I could deal with him sleeping at home overnight. It’s only a few days and he snored all last night anyway! I actually slept zero, but more because of the contractions and pain. I expect to zonk out soon.
I guess physically I’m okay. The contractions were rough last night but tolerable now, as I’m fairly certain all my pain meds have worn off. The magnesium makes you feel super warm though, like burning up! I’ll be glad when it’s turned off tomorrow evening. Oh, and no showering. WTF. I feel nasty and icky and I’m sure I look even worse. And my legs haven’t been shaved. And I didn’t get a pedi! I needed more time, that’s for sure!
Emotionally, I don’t know… I like knowing what’s to come, having a schedule, so it’s killing me that we left last night, rather in a hurry, very unprepared to not return for a undetermined amount of time. Being I take care of everything at home, well, I assume many of you can imagine how I feel right now. And I need to email my boss. What does one say when they have zero idea what the future holds?
I’ll end here for now, not that I don’t have more to say, but because I think I need some sleep, having been up now well over 24 hours now. I know several close friends have offered to visit, and I’d love to see you, I really would, but let me see how I’m feeling after I get some sleep 🙂
I’ll update again soon.