This post is a bit random, so I apologize 😉
First, the facts:
- Weight: 2,065 grams (4 lbs. 9 oz.)
- Tube Feedings: 56cc every 4 hours over 30 mins (1.9 oz. every 4 hours)
- Breastfeeding: Nora nursed for 7-8 mins this morning with a nipple shield and therefore only had to take half her 10AM feeding through her tube! While we’re on this topic, can I just complain for a minute? They want me to estimate how long she nurses, as in, how long she is actually sucking/taking in milk. How is that possible?? I’m new to this so obviously have a lot to focus on while feeding her, and counting just the time she is sucking doesn’t seem to be high on my priority list. I mean, what baby sucks continuously?
- Meningitis Status: Culture came back negative/no growth! Antibiotics are complete and PICC line was removed Monday!
- Respiratory: Room air, no oxygen support
- Temperature: Nora’s bed is still set to 29.2 C. I asked the nurse about this again today, wondering why she still isn’t in a crib. The nurse said there is no reason why she can’t be in a crib now, but they don’t really see the point in making her use calories to keep her temp up when instead she can use them to grow and gain weight. I guess I see their point…
- Location: This morning in rounds I was told there should be a room available tomorrow (Thursday) for us in Bay 4!!! It’s my understanding Bay 4 and 5 are similar, just in different locations in the hospital. I asked for a tour of Bay 4 to get an idea of what to expect… There are just 6 rooms which form a U around the nurses station. The rooms are what you would expect of a typical hospital room, bed, TV, private bathroom… Like a hotel I guess. But way more expensive! I’m really hoping we actually get moved tomorrow, now that they got me all excited!
Remember coworker N? Yeah, ran into him the other day… Can you believe he had the nerve to tell me that his wife is ‘just so totally over being pregnant and would do anything to be induced right now’…? Yeah, she is due May 1st. He obviously doesn’t have any idea what I would give to have made it to my due date… And if that wasn’t bad enough, he wanted to know the lactation consultant’s names and if they gave me any tips. What a freak.
And in other news, my boss just up and quit a few weeks ago and it now looks like N might end up a manager. Dear God, help us. He is in no way qualified for such work. I thank the Lord that this coming Friday is my last official day. I’ll be cleaning out my desk in the morning… hopefully just a few hours of work 🙂 I will sincerely miss a few lovely ladies, but I’ll do my darndest to keep in touch with them!
Since Nora got her PICC line out Monday she was allowed her first tub bath Tuesday! And let me just say, I’m truly touched Eric wants to take part in all her ‘firsts’. I mean, he really has surprised me. He didn’t want to miss her first tub bath so we paged him when we were ready and he somehow snuck out of surgery. Check out the cute pictures below. And those are yawns in the pictures.
Well, I’m fairly certain I have much more to share, but look at that, it’s time to pump again! So for now, I’ll leave you with a picture of my view from the rocker in Nora’s room in Bay 3. Hopefully this is the last day of this view!