- Weight: 2,240 grams, which is almost 5 lbs. (not updated)
- Tube Feedings: 8 cc every 4 hours, which is only 1.6 oz every 24 hours. I feel so bad for her, as she acts starving… I know this is best for her right now, but it’s so hard to watch her cry between feedings. This is being fortified to increase the calories.
- Neonatal Venous Nutrition (NVN) – Nora is receiving nutrition via her PICC line.
- Breastfeeding: Obviously on hold for who knows how long 😦
- Meningitis Status: Culture of spinal fluid drawn yesterday hasn’t shown any growth for 24 hours now. Great sign, but from what I know now, I’m terrified every time they do anything that involves her blood or spinal fluid. I’m so scared she’ll acquire another infection.
- Antibiotics: She is still on two now, one that works best for strep, her most recent infection, and another which is better for e coli, as a precaution. I’m not sure how long she’ll be on this round.
- Respiratory: She is no longer intubated, but on Sunday when they went to a nasal cannula she didn’t do the best. She was forgetting to breathe and dropping her heart rate. Since then she’s been on a newer method of support, Nava maybe, I could be getting the name wrong… It’s a tube into her nose just to the back of her throat, and then also a tube in her mouth down to her diaphragm. It will trigger a breath for her if she doesn’t take one in so many seconds, I think right now it’s set to 5 seconds. Needless to say, she HATES these tubes. Thankfully she is doing well on it and they are lowering her support daily. I’m so hoping we are off this soon. They gave her Tylenol this afternoon to calm her in case the tube in her nose was the cause of her fussiness.
- Temperature: Bed is back to 36.5 C or close to that. She is bigger now though, so hopefully once she is over this sickness she won’t need the temperature support.
- Location: Bay 3, back to our old room, that view I thought I was finished with… So much for that!
I probably should stop googling meningitis… It’s just scaring me for the future. Of course no one can tell us what to expect, but so far we caught the infections fast, which I’m told is a HUGE benefit. And comforting to know her brain MRI and EEG were normal. I believe they will be ordering another MRI of her brain soon. I just wish someone could tell me she will be okay. Eric keeps telling me she will be perfectly fine, but is he just sparing my feelings right now?
Nora’s fussiness scared me today. I mean, I know babies cry, but one of the signs of infection, specifically meningitis, is an inconsolable baby. I know she is on meds right now and therefore it’s not getting worse, but it still scared me. And what does this mean for once she is home? Will I constantly be worrying she is sick again? Will I have to shelter her at home with no visitors until her immune system can grow and mature? What do other preemies mom’s do to prevent sicknesses in their little ones?
33 more days until her due date… This would be so much easier if someone could tell me she will come home. That my life will feel normal again. That we will have happy days again.