This can’t be happening again. With everything going on with Eric’s sick family member… I just don’t know how to deal with all this…
I’m at our local hospital, I’ve been here for two hours maybe. So far I’ve decided this place sucks. There was no ob here. We waited two hours for her to get here. Ugh.
So the highlights..
- When we arrived two hours ago I was 100% effaced and dilated to 3cm. The nurse who checked me was pretty sure baby is head down but they refuse to do a quick ultrasound to make sure. This kid’s feet better not come out first like Nora’s!
- The monitor shows I’m having contractions about every three minutes right now. And they hurt. And of course no pain meds again. I swear to god I’m gonna freak!
- I already got my first dose of steroids to help baby’s lungs mature. Hopefully we can keep baby in for 48 hours to get all the steroid benefits. And they started me on antibiotics which I’m told is standard.
- The doctor here was annoyed with us, as Eric was on the phone with my ob in Iowa City when she finally arrived. My ob prefers magnesium to stop labor over some pills they use here. Apparently the magnesium has benefits for baby’s brain. Anyway, we requested it as that’s what I had with Nora and the ob here seemed to not like being told what we wanted… Oh well.
- They finally started the magnesium and apparently here they require you have a catheter with it, as it can damage your kidneys. I never had a catheter the last time, and it’s totally annoying. It feel like I have to pee all the time now!
- They don’t deliver 30 week baby’s here so the plan is to get me to Iowa City. Problem though is they won’t transfer by ambulance until I’m stable, meaning no contractions. Ugh. So basically waiting for the magnesium to work. If I get to 5cm here they will not transfer me and instead send the nicu team from Iowa City here to get the baby. Not ideal as Eric said outcomes for transferred babies just aren’t as great.
- Eric took Nora home so our regular Tuesday sitter could watch her until my mom can get off work and take over tonight. I hate asking my mom, or anyone, to disrupt their life to help me. I have no clue how long I’ll need her… I guess I assume this will go like last time, that once the steroids are finished and they stop the magnesium the contractions will start again and baby will be born… Who knows though. It was hard to say goodbye to Nora. I know she’ll be well taken care of with my mom, but it’s not me… You know…
- When Eric left he just looked so sad and honestly kind of distant. I know he didn’t get much sleep last night, as he has so much on his mind with his sick family member, and now this… There’s only so much a person can handle…
- They plan to check me at noon and if I’m no longer contracting and less than 5cm I’ll go to Iowa City.