I must be doing things the hard way… I often wonder how others would act, what others would do, in my situations.
Recap of my day…
- Finally got to sleep around midnight after feeding Nadia.
- Nadia woke at 5:07am crying, fed her and thankfully she went back to sleep until 7ish when Nora woke, probably due to the noise of Eric leaving for work.
- 7am to 10:30am is spent cleaning up, making a days worth of formula, unloading and reloading dishwasher, chugging coffee, washing sheets, folding towels which had been in the dryer for way too long, feeding Nadia again, dreaming up something for Nora’s breakfast that is easy to clean off the floor, yelling at Kona to stop barking, yelling at Nora to stop feeding the animals (Kona), etc.
- At 10:30am I decide we need out of the house so I load the girls into the stroller and we go for a walk. It was nice to get out, warm but windy. I swear Cedar Falls, not Chicago, is the windy city.
- Upon returning home Nora repeats ‘eat’ so I make her standard shells and cheese. One of the few foods she will actually eat.
- While Nora is eating and Nadia is crying, as this is her standard behavior now unless I’m holding her, the new cleaning company calls.
- Back-story… Several weeks ago I fired MaidPro. For so many reasons, but mainly because they were unprofessional, reeked of cigarette smoke, and were never on time.
- So new company is Evergreen Specialty Cleaning, and so far, I’m not all that impressed. Cleaning-wise I think they do pretty good, not awesome, but certainly better than MaidPro. And the girls who come to clean are professional in appearance, they wear covers on their shoes, company shirts, don’t reek of smoke, so all good things there. The issue again though, is schedule. All I want is the same day/time each week. Is that really too much to ask for?? They rescheduled the first two cleanings and now this week is the third time they will have been here. Last time they came on Wednesday at 1pm so I assumed the same this week. Yesterday (Tuesday) they call and say that one of the girls isn’t feeling well so they need to come Thursday instead. Um, good thing they called or I would have been surprised when they just showed up yesterday. Then today they call and say that they had a cancellation so now an opening today, and also one of the girls wants to take a personal day Thursday, hence they needed to come today. Okay… They gave me one hour of notice to pick up my pigsty of a home so they could actually find the floors and counters and such to clean. When they walked in today they tell me they only have two hours free this afternoon so they will clean what they can and one girl will come back tomorrow to finish. I almost wanted to say forget it. I get things come up, but this has been every cleaning so far…
- So cleaners are here from 1pm-3pm which means Nora doesn’t go down for a nap until 3pm… way too late. I continue to offer Nadia food which she sometimes will take and sometimes won’t, and she continues to cry unless I’m holding her. The three of us feel like prisoners in our own home, stuck in the lower level.
I thought the worst part of teething was when the teeth are actually breaking through the gums… That part is over for Nadia’s bottom two front teeth, why is she still sooooo fussy?? I don’t feel any more coming in right now.
- Nora wakes at 4:20pm, we go outside for a bit, which is a pain as again, Nadia wants to be held and that’s hard outside. And every time I run into the house to get something for Nadia, Nora follows me up the steps of the deck inside, which are really steep. I guess we need a gate at the bottom in addition to the gate we have at the top.
- I decide to feed Nora chicken nuggets while we are outside playing. Something different as far as the setting, maybe she will eat more. No, still like two nuggets and she is done, well, after she squeezed the applesauce pouch all over. I guess at least we are outside…
- Nadia is still crying so I make her a bottle and Nora follows me inside, again. I give up on being in the backyard and let Nora play at her water-table on the deck. She is soaking so needs a bath.
- After bath she claims she needs to ‘eat’ so I give her the cold nuggets she didn’t finish from her first dinner, and other things. Of which she takes like two bites.
- It’s 7:30pm by now and Nadia is rubbing her eyes so I get another bottle, a binkie, and attempt to rock her to sleep. Nora brings her iPad into Nadia’s room and watches Peg + Cat. Yeah, go ahead, click the link, I’ll wait. The voice that will talk to you is the one I hear in my dreams. And nightmares.
- 8pm make bottle for Nora, find her binkie and blanket and read her a few books before putting her to bed. She is still thrashing around in her bed and talking to herself now an hour later. I’ve gone in three times so far to stick Nadia’s binkie back into her mouth.
- Eric still isn’t home. He only had four surgeries scheduled today but apparently something bad came into the ER when he was finally ready to come home, so he’s still there.
- Dinner was supposed to be this, I even got the meat marinating while Nora was napping, but since I had no clue when Eric would be home, I didn’t actually prepare the rest of the ingredients. My biggest complaint is never knowing when Eric will be home. It’s not like he can even contact me most days… So I just sit here and wait and wonder. I usually pick three or so recipes each week and get all the ingredients ahead of time, but I’m beginning to feel like this effort is pointless. Eric is rarely home to eat with me, and it’s so hard to cook while watching two little kids. I really want to offer Nora at least one healthy, real meal each day, but she is hungry at 5pm or so and needs to be in bed by 7pm or so… so waiting for Eric to get home to help me with dinner and the kids is pretty much impossible. Thus, Nora eats junk, and so do I. Tonight I had La Casa’s White Queso. So healthy, I know.
- So it’s 9pm, I guess I go to bed… Another day complete. Sort of.