Eric says I’m ‘reaching for straws’ looking for anything I can find to pin on Nadia as a reason for her behavior. And maybe I am. Maybe I want to find something wrong so I know what we have to treat. I’ve been researching a lot, in other words, searching Google, which I know is horrible. Even worse when your husband is a doctor… But here are two things I’ve found so far…
First, PANDAS. I took the information from this site. The symptoms I bolded below fit Nadia.
The symptoms of PANDAS start suddenly, about four to six weeks after a strep infection. They include behaviors similar to obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and Tourette syndrome. These symptoms can interfere with schooling and quickly become debilitating. Symptoms worsen and reach their peak usually within two to three days, unlike other childhood psychiatric illnesses that develop more gradually.
Psychological symptoms may include:
- obsessive, compulsive, and repetitive behaviors
- separation anxiety, fear, and panic attacks
- incessant screaming, irritability, and frequent mood changes
- emotional and developmental regression
- visual or auditory hallucinations
- depression and suicidal thoughts
Physical symptoms may include:
- tics and unusual movements
- sensitivities to light, sound, and touch
- deterioration of small motor skills or poor handwriting
- hyperactivity or an inability to focus
- memory problems
- trouble sleeping
- refusing to eat, which can lead to weight loss
- joint pain
- frequent urination and bedwetting
- near catatonic state
Children with PANDAS don’t always have all of these symptoms, but they generally have a mix of several physical and psychiatric symptoms.
Okay, and my second idea… Diabetes… Again, those in bold fit Nadia, and these are taken from this site.
The signs and symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children usually develop quickly, and may include:
- Increased thirst – she does seem to drink a lot
- Frequent urination, possibly bed-wetting in a toilet-trained child
- Extreme hunger – she is constantly asking for snacks
- Unintentional weight loss
- Fatigue – basically says she says she is tired non-stop all day, even on the days she did sleep well
- Irritability or behavior changes
- Fruity-smelling breath
So am I nuts?